I was born in London, England. We lived in London and the Thames Valley until I was nine, when my family moved to a village in Kent. At school I liked English best and also History and Art.
When I was 23 years old I went to Art School where I studied Graphic Design; I then spent some years illustrating children’s books before I began to write. Now I no longer illustrate (although I still draw for fun) and I write full time.
I live in a very old house in Somerset, in south west England.
1. Go back in time to watch my house being build (1480, maybe earlier . . .)
2. Travel around the solar system (in a luxury spaceship, obviously)
3. Fly like I can in my dreams
4. Breathe under water
5. Have my garden full of tortoises that do not want to escape
6. Sing like Annie Lennox
7. Have my dad over for supper
1. English countryside
2. Very old buildings
3. David Hockney’s drawings and paintings
4. Playing loud rock music when I am driving (on my own!)
5. Shallow, clear green sea
7. Giant tortoises
1. Writing begins with reading – so read lots and lots and lots
2. Write about something that you are really interested in
3. Get to know your characters like friends and they will guide you through your story
4. Always read what you have written out loud to yourself
5. Do not be disheartened! If you do get stuck, put your story away for a few weeks a come back to it later. But remember, not all stories work. Some do, some don’t. So if it doesn’t, try something new. Nothing is ever wasted and you will find you learn a little bit about writing with every story you write
Click here for more fascinating facts on Septimus Heap and Angie Sage